Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rorry's Story

Twitter has introduced me to some amazing people.  It really is a social media platform where you can connect very easily.  Being inquisitive, I love finding out about people, their backgrounds, hopes for the future and beliefs.  


This led me to connecting with Aurora, more commonly known as "Rorry".  Rorry has a maturity well beyond her age, that was something I realised from early on .  Briefly, Rorry and her family migrated from Albania to England when she was 8 years of age.  Currently Rorry is studying Business Psychology and last year reverted (converted) to Islam.  This is her story...



Tell me something about your background?

I’m originally from Albania, I moved to England in 1999 when I was 8 and I have been there ever since.


Did you experience any difficulties growing up as you come from an ethnic background?

I guess you could say I experienced some forms of difficulty, mainly financial difficulties, in Albania I was one of 14 in our household. We all relied on my dad’s wages solely. I guess financial issues were one of the reasons for coming to England.


When did you first start taking an interest in Islam?

Well I grew up thinking I was a Muslim, but on my second year of college I found out I was far from it, because in my family we all drank and ate pork and mainly we didn’t really believe that Muhammad (SAW) was the messenger of God.  I’d say that since the age of 17 I have been struggling with whether religion is right or whether there is a God at all.  At the age of 18 I decided to be an atheist, it was a comfortable choice at the time taking my family into consideration especially.  My true interest started on the 16th of October 2011, when I had a spiritual incident, and that’s when I thought I need to do more research because I was completely moved by the experience and it felt extremely right.


Describe how you felt when you took your shahada (testimony of faith).  Where did you take it?

I honestly couldn’t sleep the night before taking my shahada, I remember the day I took my shahada it was very sunny, such a beautiful atmosphere, a beautiful day.  After taking my shahada I felt very emotional.  I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time, it was a very emotional experience, it was the best and most wonderful decision I’ve ever made.  I took my shahada at a Mosque near my house, with two of my friends that came with me as witnesses.


What was your family’s response to you becoming a Muslim?

My brother was very supportive with my decision.  My mum and dad however were completely shocked and against my decision.  They reacted even worse when I started wearing a Hijab 2 weeks after my shahada.  My mum even said “oh no, my daughter is going to become a terrorist”, this made me laugh a lot, but it also made me realise that because of the media my mum has so many misconceptions about Islam.


How did your friends react?

Many of my friends are Muslims, so they were extremely happy that I reverted. Even my friends, who were not Muslims, showed me great support and understanding.


What does it mean to you to be a Muslim?

Being a Muslim to me means, praying 5 times a day, wearing a hijab, having good manners and good character, being respectable, kind hearted, sympathetic, helpful, well spoken. Mainly following what our Prophet (SAW) did.


How did you feel when you first put on your hijab?

I felt very protected and happy. Mainly I just felt beautiful, I was never really satisfied with my looks but when wearing the Hijab, it just makes me feel so beautiful.  No item of clothing has ever made feel as amazing as the Hijab does.


What are you studying?

I’m studying Business Psychology, just finished my second year.


What job will you be looking to do once qualified?

I really want to be a Primary School or Nursery teacher, it’s quite the opposite of what I will be qualified for, but I have found a great interest for it.


How does Islam influence you as a person, and your everyday activities?

I definitely think about the way I react to situations, Islam has made me a more forgiving person, because the old me would hold a lot of grudges.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years’ time?

Hopefully married, have a couple of children, a comfortable job and a comfortable life.


Any advice to others thinking of reverting/converting to Islam?

If you find yourself intrigued by Islam, do some research!  Go to a mosque near you and ask for more information.


What is your favourite food, television show and music?

Food would have to be chicken!  Me and my close friend spend most of our days in Nandos eating their famous peri peri chicken.  Tv show would have to be “2 broke girls” it’s a great show. Music has to be indie pop by an artist called Lana del Rey, her songs are mesmerising. 

No comments:

Post a Comment